Beaver Meadow Golf Course is the oldest golf course in the State of New Hampshire, established in 1896. This Concord golf course is is owned and operated by the City and Concord and since 2011 has been managed by the Concord Parks and Recreation Department.
Our Concord golf course hosts many outings and tournaments a year and is open to the public. You can sign up as a member and play unlimited golf or can join us for the day and pay our green fees.
It all began in the autumn of 1896, when Miss Mabel Hill, Miss Harriet Anderson, Miss Harriet Huntress and Mr. Paul Holden began playing golf in earnest on some fields located east of the Maple Grove Cemetery. The next year, the group employed Scottish Golf Pro Willie Campbell to construct a 9-hole course. Willie came to Concord by train from Brookline, Massachusetts, and did the job for the grand sum of $50.00. Soon, a permanent golf club was formed and, very shortly thereafter, the membership grew to 120. In 1899, the club house was built.
Approximately 30 years later, in 1930, the private club portion moved across the Merrimack River and became the Concord Country Club. The City forefathers - left with the established course - simply voted to take it over, paying no heed to the fact that the Sewalls Falls Power and Electric Company owned the land. In 1954, when Don Sinn became the Concord Parks and Recreation Director, the legal indiscretion was discovered. The City Council rectified the 24 year old error and paid $6,000 to Sewalls Falls Power and Electric. Thereafter, federal funds became available and the City bought enough acreage from the New England Box Company for another nine holes.
In 1968, the Concord golf course grew to the standard 18 holes, after renowned designer Geoffrey Cornish completed the layout. By 1975, the course's reputation had grown and the Beaver Meadow Golf Course hosted the State men's amateur tournament that year.
The City of Concord and its citizens continue to guard this enterprise well.